In the Field : Jared Mahone : 11/1 “On Fumes”

Come December Banner

November 1, 2013
“On Fumes”

I’m an insomniac. Not sure if it’s a medical issue or a creative issue. Either way, I’m used to operating on little to no sleep. This week, however, was a bit ridiculous. If you will allow me, I would like to give an account of just how silly my schedule has been and you can help me figure how I am still awake.

Tuesday night, after a great show at Minnesota State – Moorhead, the promoter and student committee took me out for a late night diner dinner, so I got into bed around 1:00am. At 3:45am my alarm sounds so I can drive into Fargo and make my early morning flight that will get me to the tech rehearsal that day for the Katie show. After the entire day finally winds down and we settle in to our kind accommodations on the apartment floor of my good friend Ryan Vaughn, the whole excitement of the next day keeps me up and rolling around in bed for hours. I finally get to bed sometime after 2:00am and at 3:30am, I awake to the sound of Matt blowing up his air mattress that has deflated leaving him uncomfortable on the hardwood floor. Once I was up (and laughing at Matt), my brain started going again and I couldn’t shut it off. At that point, it didn’t really matter.

Our call time to be on set for our taping day was 6:00am so my alarm was set for 4:45am to make sure we had enough time to get “camera ready” and ride the subway into Manhattan. That whole day was a whirlwind and we wrapped sometime in the afternoon. Jeff’s bother drove in from Philly to watch us play on the show so Jeff spent the afternoon at lunch with him while Matt and I took the subway to H&M to get me a new belt. Once we got back together, we had just enough time to pack up our stuff at Ryan’s and start heading out of town. We wanted to drive out of the city the night before so we weren’t fighting traffic the next morning. It’s 12:30am now and we made it to a hotel in Allentown, PA after stopping at this crazy diner for an omelet and pie. Later this morning we will wake up around 6:00am to drive back to Columbus, pick up the band, and get to our 11:00pm show in Fort Wayne, Indiana tonight. I’m sure there will be some late night diner treat from the promoter after this show as well.

To compound everything, our fill-in bass player has to be back in Columbus for a rehearsal the next morning. So, it will be another 5:30am wake up call.

As you can see, only some of this is self-inflicted. Most of it is just the circumstance of the schedule. I’m going to need a few days to recover after this. Jared Mahone



Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: